Are you managing your career like you would manage a business? Throughout the years as I’ve worked with clients, I’ve often heard, “Oh, I wish I have would have known …” Or, “I wish I would have done this earlier.”
- Have you updated your resume in the past year?
- Do you keep track of major accomplishments/projects?
- Do you keep copies of your performance reviews (if applicable)?
- Do you use your LinkedIn account on a regular basis?
- Are you a member of a professional organization?
- In the past year, have you engaged in professional development activities (books, seminars, trainings, etc.)?
- Do you keep copies of your training/workshop certificates?
- Do you keep copies of thank yous, congratulatory emails, etc.?
- Do you keep in contact with former coworkers/colleagues (emails, social media, coffee, etc.)?
- Do you participate in activities that will help you increase your network of connections (volunteering, local clubs/groups, social media)?
Congrats to all of the questions you answered “Yes.” If you answered “No” to any of the above questions, then you’ve found an area which you can improve upon in managing your career.